Tuesday, February 5, 2008

One of those mail delivery moments

Mail delivery sometimes has little embarrassing moments. Fleeting times of flushed face. Things quickly forgotten. Like forgetting a customer's name or needing a signature without a pen in sight. Earlier this week I had one of those

First, I have to say that when the roads are bad with snow or ice, I drive a Beater, or in other words a 1987 Oldsmobile front wheel drive. It’s a jewel. Everything works except the radio. With studded front tires, it gets me around the route in fine shape most Kansas winters.

It wasn’t entirely the car’s fault. We knew the muffler was loose. It wasn’t too bad and my husband had the parts. I didn’t anticipate two things. First, the trash truck making its rounds when the roads were soft creating deep ruts. Second, the temperature dropping and those ruts freezing.

After about the third time the Olds high centered on a frozen mud rut, the muffler fell off. Now I am delivering mail sounding like an old dump truck. It was near the end of the route. However, I did have to make one stop at a residence for a carrier pickup. I no sooner pulled up when the customer came running out to see who was taking their stuff. They saw it was me and looked bewildered as I started the car.

Only slightly red faced, I waved and roared away.

No comments:

Disclaimer

This website is not sponsored nor authorized by: USPS - NRLCA - State or Local Associations - Other Craft Unions -- or any other types of Organizations.

It is simply a guide to help rural letter carriers do research, find postal information and links on the web. Always contact your local and state stewards or your state and national officers for official advice and instructions.