Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fortuneteller Anyone?

I am a USPS FERS employee.

My full time hiring date was February 1984. The retirement system underwent massive change in January of 1984. No one explained it to me. I guess I could have been both CSRS and FERS had I known. In fact, it wasn’t until the National Rural Letter Carrier Convention in Chicago did I hear anyone spend time talking about FERS retirement. It was probably out there, but retirement was so far away that I just took out the maximum amount for investment each pay period and didn’t think much about it.

As it turns out, in all my ignorance, FERS has been good for me. My choices of investments have paid well through the years. And, they are mine. Unlike CSRS, I have been able to build sum of money that stays with me, and more importantly, my family whenever I die.

Of course, we all know the sick leave situation. It’s true, when I finally roll up the windows in my mail truck for the last time, I might loose a year’s worth of sick leave. On the other hand, if I need it for a major illness it is there. And, maybe legislation will be passed to compensate for a percentage. After all, the politicians are on the same plan as rural carriers.

The question remains, have I made the right decision to retire before my full retirement age of 66. I just read a blog entitled "Wait if you Can" by Dr. Ron Evans, a semi retired professor at Washburn University in Topeka. He suggested, in jest, consulting a fortuneteller. After all, when one should take retirement depends on length of life. Eighty years is the breaking point to make up the difference between the lesser amount at 62 and the full amount at 66.

As I said, the decision is made. Unless there is an unforeseen circumstance, I am retiring before the full age of 66. Maybe because I am even writing this, I have second thoughts. If anyone would like to weigh in on determining his or her retirement date, I am interested. Comments are welcome.

No comments:

Disclaimer

This website is not sponsored nor authorized by: USPS - NRLCA - State or Local Associations - Other Craft Unions -- or any other types of Organizations.

It is simply a guide to help rural letter carriers do research, find postal information and links on the web. Always contact your local and state stewards or your state and national officers for official advice and instructions.